Canton, east of Ogdensburg, is the county seat of St. Lawrence County. Your help in identifying these photos is appreciated. All photos courtesy David Martin.
click to enlarge
Cleveland Cold Storage
R. E. Cleveland cold storage facility located on West Street.
Potsdam Normal Teacher's College
The first county courthouse, destroyed by fire and replaced with current structure. Interior at right.
Clarkson College of Technology at right.
Early view of the current county courthouse.
Laying the cornerstone of the Universalist Church, Canton
State's Oldest Hotel
American House opened to public Jan. 1, 1825 and was oldest hotel in NY State.
The G.B. Mangin fruit stand.
Early view of Clarkson College
Color view of park in Canton.
The machine shop at Clarkson College, Potsdam.
Near campus of St. Lawrence University.
Alpha Epsilon House
Potsdam Main St.
Lower Main St. at Potsdam.
Aerials of part of St. Lawrence University campus.
1910 fire in Potsdam.
Potsdam street after 1905 winter storm.
Band at Clarkson College of Technology, Potsdam.
Library & Bridge
Benton Memorial Library, above,and new Canton bridge in 1908 images.
Raquette River Paper Co. mill at Potsdam.
Canton High School
Canton's High School in 1908 photo.
Potsdam's Maple St. Bridge in 1910 flood photo.
Left, St. Lawrence County Alms House at Canton. (Tim Como)
St. Lawrence University Proctor house, School of Agriculture and athletic field.
Sandstone quarry at Potsdam at far right, and Potsdam hotel at right.
Main Street, Canton with horse & buggy.
Potsdam Civic Center.
St. Lawrence University grounds.
Leroy Street in Potsdam.
Market Street in Potsdam.
County jail at Canton.
St. Lawrence University scenes
Early image of Clarkson College (couortesy Nickki Ryan)